Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Digital Speaker System Controller

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    I've seen a few products that seem interesting. The JBL DSC60 and the Electro-Voice DX38. I know the audiophiles don't like digital too much but it seems that putting together a vintage Altec system and using one of these controllers could take a lot of nightmare out of tweaking crossover slopes and points, EQing in ruler flat response for a particluar room and saving the settings for each environment! Does anyone here have experience in using these with their vintage gear and have impressions on the general audio quality?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a 2 in 8 out for a fix vintage installation.

    It beats having to buy an amp distributor, active XO
    And graphic EQ. separately.

    ..............................................

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Oops! Misread your product for JBL 260 speaker processor.

    ...............................................

  4. #4
    Inactive Member sguttag's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 18th, 2006
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm....don't know what happened to my last reply but...

    I generally only use DSP when it gets me something that good analog products don't. With a DSP product, you will have to pay an A/D and D/A hit to the audio quality and those conversions are not all created equal. But if I'm doing some parametric EQing, crossover and perhaps other processing, then yes, I will often go the DSP route. I like the RANE RPM line and often use the RPM26Z for such uses.

    The RPM26Z is a 2(4) in and 6 out which is good for stereo bi-amp or tri-amp. Note, the RPM26Z as an AES input so it is possible to have 4 in 6 out if you supply your own A/D converter the 3rd and 4th channels.

    To satisfy the 2-in 8-out from Rane, there is the RPM88 which is really an 8-in/8-out box.

    Steve

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Digital Speaker System Controller


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Steve Guttag:
    Hmmm....don't know what happened to my last reply but...

    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The thread was reposted an hour and something later. So now we have two copies of it running.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,
    Thanks for the RANE Tip . I'll have to study it carefully. I'm in no rush for it now.

    .........................................

  7. #7
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have and have been using a BSS-FDS-366T, 2in 6out. Its good, sounds good through my vintage Altecs, but, only if you take the time to really dial it in properly, and this may take you a bit of doing to find what really works and sounds best.

    And thats the deal, if you get a GOOD digital processor, one that has good converters, you can achieve very high quality results, but, theres going to be some time invested in tweaking!

    All that said, I still prefer analog processing for its warmth and fuller bass, and softer sounding midrange and top end, even though I CANT do with my analog xovers what I can with my DSP!

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    Guys, a hearty thanks for responding!
    I did a brief search to ferret out the
    offerings for these pieces of gear, in case
    others are interested...

    BSS-FDS-366T $3500
    JBL DSC260 $~1200 not sure
    Electro-Voice DX38 $1289
    Rane RPM26Z $1000
    dbx DriveRack PA $500
    Behringer DCX 2496 $250

    Gee, it seems to me that you could pick up a
    Behringer on the cheap, get the system up and
    running...and then sell it to upgrade.

    Features I'm looking at: a/d d/a....
    eq capability...
    time and phase alignment...
    level balancing...
    3 way crossover...actually 4 way even better...

    Ya know if yer not a purist...
    you can still have a little fun with audio! forums
    Thanks again for all the help!

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Digital Speaker System Controller


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't underestimate the Behringer. I use and own BSS. I bought a Behringer to play with. Pretty darn impressive piece. The Graphic isn't bad either.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    I too bought a DCX-2496 to "play with". After about 20-30 hrs of power up time it began to make the channel 1 output "frying bacon" sound that you can read numerous accounts of on other pro audio threads. Took over 3 months before a replacement unit was back in my hands, and that was immediately sold on ebay. I am by no means "knocking" Behringer, i have other pieces of their gear in my toybox and have no complaints. In concept the DCX-2496 is an awesome piece of gear, my experience with it, and service after the sale fell far short of awesome for any gear at any pricepoint.

    A friend recently bought a BBE DS26(2 in 6 out)with similar price/performance, but few less features. I have looked at the software for it, and it's much easier to navigate than the behringer software. To date he has not installed it in a system. does anyone own one of the BBE units or have any experience with them?

    I'd like to add a DSP to the toybox again, but cannot justify the expense of a dbx, kt or bss unit. I'd even consider another DCX2496, if i heard of a press release saying the company has corrected the flaw. It's my understanding that at this time it is rather difficult to find them in stock

    Just my friendly 2 cents worth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.